Tuesday, April 30, 2019

MARCH toward Spring




"Daffodils,
That come before the swallow dares, and take
The winds of March with beauty."
- William Shakespeare



Last Fall I planted a hundred more daffodils to add to my existing ones and they bloomed beautifully this sunny, rather warm March.  




Last August I planted the PJM rhododendron ( above ) and it rewarded me with this display of lovely lavendar blossoms.  Rhododendrons are difficult to grow in the sunny South and do not like our heat and humidity.  I had the PJM in my Chicago garden and it survived some very cold temperatures so I'm hoping that it will also be able to take the heat.



The Edgeworthia bloomed early this year due to the unusually warm Spring we're having.  I love to sit on the bench and smell it's fragrance.




This is the first year that my evergreen Clematis 'armandii' has bloomed.  It has a wonderful fragrance as well and I like the fact that it is an aggressive spreader as I planted it in front of an unsightly chain-link fence that I want to block out.




And, still blooming since January is the formidable outstanding Hellebores which I am planting through-out my woodland garden.  This has to be the longest blooming Spring perennial of all time.

With few exceptions March has been a very busy one in the garden.
   




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...