Saturday, April 13, 2019

FRIVILOUS FEBRUARY-Let the Gardening Begin

"Late February days; and now, at last,
Might you have thought that
Winter's woe was past;
So fair the sky was and so soft the air."
-  William Morris
 Yes, Margaret, there is life in the garden in February -here in the Piedmont of North Carolina.  This February was a mixture of warm one week, cold the next but fortunately without extremely cold winter storms. Of course my granddaughter and many her age would love to see a great big snow storm.
In the vegetable garden I have hearty bok choy, spinach, cabbage and kale growing.  Below are my herb beds located next to the chicken coop so I can pluck some oregano and give to the chickens as a treat.  It's an antibiotic as well.  


Since Janurary I've enjoyed seeing the Hellebores and their cheerful blooms lining my driveway garden bed.



I've been very watchful of the deer and I spray all my new plants but I didn't get to  my 6 new camellias in time and they were nibbled.  I've since covered them with deer netting and they seem to be recovering .

My five girls have continued to lay eggs but not as often as before the cold set in.  Here's the "chicken whisperer " Lea getting their undivided attention with a treat. Star, the last chicken on the left was a rescue from last year.  I found her half dead in a dog's mouth and made him drop her.  I brought her home and nursed her back to health and she is now the biggest chicken in the flock, lays the biggest eggs and eats the biggest meals.  It took one month before the other chickens would accept her into the flock.  I swear chickens are more selective in whom they allow in their social circle than humans are !




Farewell February.  March come right in.  One month closer to Spring !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...