Tuesday, December 13, 2022

NOVEMBER IS A BUSY TIME IN THE SWEET HOME AND GARDEN

  

"If it is true that one of the greatest pleasures of gardening lies in looking forward, then the planning of next year's beds and borders must be one of the most agreeable occupations in the gardener's calendar.  This should make October and November particularly pleasant months, for then we may begin to clear our borders, to cut down those sodden and untidy stalks, to dig up and increase our plants, and to move them to other positions where they will show up to greater effect.  People who are not gardeners always say that the bare beds of winter are uninteresting; gardeners know better, and take even a certain pleasure in the neatness of the newly dug, bare, brown earth."

I always pray for good weather in November because I open my studio to the public the first two weekends to see my paintings.  This is a tour of about 100 artists in the area and is very popular with the residents.  We had a lot of visitors and sales this year and the weather was good - no heavy rain or snow.

The entrance to my studio is through the garden gate and visitors are always pleasantly surprised to see a garden still filled with texture and color.  The Japanese mums and Autumn sage are still in bloom and the brilliant Fall color of dogwood and viburnum is stunning.


         Fall color of the 'Koreanspice ' Viburnum


Because of our warm Fall the leaves were late in dropping and I have been busy raking them into the forest to compost.

While cleaning up the garden I noticed voles had quite a few tunnels dug and I sprayed them with castor oil and dish detergent mixed together.  

After a few chilly days I finally got around to planting the alliums I bought to add to the daffodils for the Spring border.

The garden still looks good in November and my plan for Spring is to plant as many evergreen groundcovers I can to fill in bare spots so I won't have to mulch.  We call this " living mulch. "  I have a lot but I need more.



                 A corner of my November   garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...