Thursday, February 3, 2022

JANUARY AND NEW BEGINNINGS



"Nature has undoubtedly mastered the art of winter gardening and even the most experienced gardener can learn from the unrestrained beauty around them."- Vincent A. Simeone

We did indeed learn from the  " unrestrained beauty " in the garden this first month of the year.  For 3 weekends in a row we had below freezing temperatures and a dusting of snow.  

Usually I'm cheered by the winter blooms of my Prunus mume 'peggy clarke ' but alas it had to be severely pruned due to a fungus and will take time to recoop.



I am going to search for some more Prunus mume in the local garden centers in case my current ones don't survive.   I would even love to plant one in the front garden so that I can see it from my window.

This winter's freeze also delayed the blooming of the Hellebores, another flower I love that blooms in the winter.  The buds emerged but growth stopped when the temperatures plunged to the low 20's several nights in a row.  I'm hopeful they will survive to bloom in February.  Below is my favorite -a light lime color that shows up very well in its forest setting.



I've also been enjoying another winter bloomer -Edgeworthia ( Chinese paperbush )  and its incredible fragrance.



Meanwhile I'm spending winter planning for Spring.  I want to add a witch hazel and more dogwood and viburnums this Spring.

Each day now brings earlier sun rise and later sunset, a sure sign of Spring !  My chickens , after a brief rest, are beginning to lay again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...