Tuesday, September 8, 2020

AUGUST BRINGS A SAD FAREWELL

 "August rushes by like desert rainfall,

A flood of frenzied upheaval,
Expected,
But still catching me unprepared.
Like a matchflame
Bursting on the scene,
Heat and haze of crimson sunsets.
Like a dream
Of moon and dark barely recalled,
A moment,
Shadows caught in a blink.
Like a quick kiss;
One wishes for more
But it suddenly turns to leave,
Dragging summer away."
-  Elizabeth Maua Taylor 

For five months my sweet gardening companion Duke fought valiantly against the lymphoma that finally took over his tired body.  He went from a super energetic Aussie to barely being able to walk.  He was only 5 years old which makes the loss even greater.  And so on August 26 he crossed the rainbow bridge and I can imagine how he  now runs free and easy through the hills and meadows of  doggie heaven.  He will be greatly missed.

          
       Duke with one of his favorite humans,  Lea.  They grew up together.

This August was very hot but we were blessed with plenty of rain.  Just keeping up with weeding was a chore by itself. 




I enjoy sitting on the deck in the evening and watching the hummingbirds fly around the Lantana they love so much.  Bees are also attracted to this colorful shrub that blooms all summer.

Although August brought a sad farewell to my beloved Duke , I  count my many blessings.  All of my children now live close by and my dear younger sister as well.   It is a great comfort to have them here, especially during this horrible year of the pandemic.

Now that August is "dragging summer away " I look forward to the pleasant days of September.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...