Friday, July 12, 2019

MAY the Gardening Season Begin





"May and June. Soft syllables, gentle names for the two best months in the garden year: cool, misty mornings gently burned away with a warming spring sun, followed by breezy afternoons and chilly nights. The discussion of philosophy is over; it's time for work to begin."
- Peter Loewer



This May was lovely with temperatures wildly swinging from one extreme to the other -hot, cold, in between . April was dry and May was rainy . It is a busy time in the garden as any planting should be done before the really hot days of summer begin in June.


I've had no luck in growing rhododendrons because most of them can't endure our Southern heat but I've discovered the Southgate series and one developed by Southern Living named 'Grace ' that I ordered and planted.







Another rhododendron I coveted, the largest , which can reach 16 ' is 'Rosebay ' a native which I ordered from a nursery in Asheville. I will be paying special attention to keeping them watered this season.


Last Fall the owner of my former home in Chicago sent me a 'Lorelei ' iris from my garden. It's a dwarf of a century old antique variety. I was thrilled to see it bloom for the first time in my new Carolina garden.




May is indeed the beginning in earnest of the gardening season. As a May Day girl it is always a month when I look forward to being another year older and wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...