Sunday, May 1, 2016

TRA LA, IT'S MAY !




A delicate fabric of bird song
Floats in the air,
The smell of wet wild earth
Is everywhere.

Red small leaves of the maple
Are clenched like a hand,
Like girls at their first communion
The pear trees stand.

Oh I must pass nothing by
Without loving it much,
The raindrop try with my lips,
The grass with my touch;

For how can I be sure
I shall see again
The world on the first of May
Shining after the rain ?

-Sara Teasdale

Tra la, it's May !   The garden in my old Chicago home would be just beginning to emerge but here in Chapel Hill I have been gardening since March .  




I added a rose arbor at the entrance and planted a 'lady banks ' rose which is yellow and thornless.  I've added a circular lawn for my dog Duke and granddaughter Lea to romp and play on.  



Fell in love with this fernspray japanese cypress with its golden arching branches.



Rescued this old rusty chair from the neighbor's trash.


Added some much needed seating .  Planted two prunus mume, or Japanese apricot on each side of the chairs.  When mature the trees will form a natural shade arbor.  I love the prunus mume because it blooms in winter.


Painted a little garden quote on my new fence.  On the left is one of the 7 birdhouses I've installed on the existing fence posts.


The garden looks lush.  The Japanese roof iris, forget-me-nots, dianthus, catmint, wisteria, jasmine and azaleas are blooming.

The garden is maturing along with me as I turn another year older this first of May.

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...