Sunday, February 12, 2023

JANUARY BRINGS NEW YEAR AND GOOD WEATHER

 

"No one ever regarded the First of January with indifference.  It is that from which all date their time, and count upon what is left.  It is the nativity of our common Adam." 
-  Charles Lamb 

Unlike the previous January this month brought very mild weather, with the exception of one week of freezing temperatures.  My evergreen 'Lady Banks' rose  dropped her foliage as did  some usually evergreen viburnums.  'Spring bouquet ' viburnum was an exception and was not damaged at all.  'They will however, return next Spring.  I will miss its beautiful blooms this year .


Spent a lot of time inside the studio painting when the weather was too cold to go out.

The cheerful blooms of 'Peggy Clark ' were delightful and not affected by the freeze we had .  'Kobai'  ( below ) a more shrub-like cultivar, bloomed even though it was just planted in the Fall .


Buds are forming on the variegated Daphne 'odora  '  that I planted last year.  Can't wait to smell it !

I've been doing battle with the voles who seemed to have chosen my garden to set up winter homes in.  I've spread castor oil about and coyote urine, as well as destroyed their tunnels.

I see buds forming on the evergreen clematis 'armandii ' so its unscathed as well.  I'm crossing my fingers that Spring will bring out a lot of new growth on those damaged by the freeze.

Time to start thinking about preparing the vegetable garden for Spring.  Going to plant kale, chinese broccoli, bok choy, green onions, and  spinach soon.  They can tolerate some cold temperatures.

Also working on two client's garden designs for this Spring.   Love that I can garden inside and out all year round in this mild Carolina weather !


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...