Monday, August 2, 2021

A COLD DAY IN JULY

 "The Summer looks out from her brazen tower, Through the flashing bars of July."

-  Francis Thompson, A Corymbus for Autumn  


July is the rainest month here in the Piedmont and it lived up to it with generous amounts.  It is also one of the hottest months but we actually had that "cold day in July " as the old country saying goes - a cool 59 degrees for a daytime high !

The garden, of course, loved the cooler July temps and the ample rain.




The blackeyed susans are spreading their cheery yellow heads this month, as are the coneflowers.  Lantana has begun her bloom as well and attracts hummers and bees.  I gave many of the perennials a haircut , such as the catmint and autumn sage, and they are beginning to bloom again as well.

While garden center hopping I found a willowleaf cotoneaster, a rare find around here, and planted it in a semi-sunny area to highlight its arching spreading branches and red Fall berries. 
 


As usual the Japanese beetles are munching on many plants, their favorites being the Wisteria vine , apple tree and roses.  I pick them off each morning and evening and feed them to the chickens.   The traps I place at a distance from the garden has attracted and killed many of them.  Next year I think I'll try an insect spray with pyrethium, a Mum derivitive.  

I've had no luck with growing lavender even though I tried the touted 'phenomenal ' variety.  I think my soil is too heavy .  I bought a Spanish variety yesterday and will try that but first I will amend the soil so that it is better draining.   I also bought some more varieties of coneflowers that are dwarf  and some charming phlox paniculata.  The 'flame white eye ' phlox is a dwarf and its color  outstanding .   I love phlox and it's long bloom time.  




Another bee and butterfly pollinator plant is 'rosie posey ' agastache  ,  the hummingbird mint , an extremely long blooming two-toned  selection. Plump plumes of rosy pink flowers with rich purple calayxes  top neat mounds of mint scented foliage. A vast improvement over older varieties, it may be the longest blooming Anise Hyssop ever. The calyxes are very long lasting giving the plant the look that it is blooming long after it has finished. One of the easiest perennials to grow.



July was so cool and rainy  ( with an exception of a very hot week ) that the Magnolia and Viburnum produced its second bloom this year .  This is often referred to as a second Spring.

I transplanted my Cross Vine to a sunnier location to grow up a tall trellis to block the view of the neighbors yard.  This member of the Trumpet family is a fast-growing, self-clinging, prolific bloomer and is evergreen. It is also an attraction for hummers, bees, and butterflies due to its bright colorful tubular-shaped flowers.



Goodbye July, hello August !


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...