Thursday, May 23, 2019

A Dancing April


"How many million Aprils came
before I ever knew

how white a cherry bough could be,
a bed of squills, how blue

And many a dancing April
when life is done with me,
will lift the blue flame of the flower
and the white flame of the tree 

Oh burn me with your beauty then,
oh hurt me tree and flower,
lest in the end death try to take
even this glistening hour..."
Sara Teasdale, Blue Squills, 1920 


Once again March and April reversed their weather -March rains were so heavy and frequent that many plants suffered from root-rot.  I fear if I complain about the excess then May will surely be hot and dry. Plus, it's a waste of time .


This used to be my lawn in the backyard but grass didn't grow well here despite my every effort so I am trying a low ground cover - 'chocolate chip ' aguja which is hardy and spreads rather fast.  Plus, it has a beautiful cobalt-blue flower.  I'm hoping this will soon spread and cover the entire area.

I had my eye on a beautiful yellow Peony at the local garden center but the price tag of $99 gave me pause.  I managed to find the root of one for $19.  The root has been planted and it should look like this next year.



April has been a mixed bag of weather -both cool and warm at the same time.  The garden has really burst forth and my many fruit trees for the first time escaped a late April freeze.  The Asian pear, nectarine, peace, fig and apple all have tiny fruits emerging.

Alas, I lost my PJM rhododendron, probably due to root-rot.  I placed an order for a special cultivar that is suppose to tolerate our Southern heat - The Southgate Collection from Southern Living.  Meet Grace.  


I also ordered the native Carolina rhododendron-'Rosebay' from a nursery in Asheville.  I planted it in my woodland garden. It's the largest rhododendron, growing up to 15 ' tall and wide.

April has done her Spring dance and has strutted her stuff.  Time to welcome the Merry Month of May.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...