Tuesday, September 4, 2018

A Most Unusual August



"August rushes by like desert rainfall,
A flood of frenzied upheaval,
Expected,
But still catching me unprepared.
Like a matchflame
Bursting on the scene,
Heat and haze of crimson sunsets.
Like a dream
Of moon and dark barely recalled,
A moment,
Shadows caught in a blink.
Like a quick kiss;
One wishes for more
But it suddenly turns to leave,
Dragging summer away."
-  Elizabeth Maua Taylo




My hyacinth  bean vine in bloom always reminds me of my visit to Monticello and bringing back the seeds from Thomas Jefferson's garden.

While July was extremely dry August was just the opposite -unusually rainy and while not a record, it was way above average, almost four inches more than normal.  I didn't have to water the garden even once !


It's a challenge to grow an old fashioned Lilac here in the South . After a futile search in local garden centers I had to resort to ordering my long sought after Lilac -'Pocahontas ' , a Canadian variety that is supposed to survive the Southern summer heat.  It arrived potted in its own soil instead of the bareroots most nurseries have which will reduce the transplant shock considerably.



I love the deep purple of this old fashioned Lilac and can't wait for Spring to see it's new blooms.

Yesterday at the garden center I spotted a beautiful Chinese Snowball Viburnum and brought it home with me.  I now have 8 in my collection.  Guess you might say I'm kinda fond of them.



I have totally given up on growing grass in my backyard.  I had a circular lawn but every year around July it would slowly die away.   While I was digging the soil I found the reason why - Japanese beetle grubs.   I applied a grub control and have ordered ground cover seeds for heneria aka green carpet.  No more lawn.


Farewell to August and hello to September which will bring cooler weather and hopefully ample rain for the garden.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...