Friday, February 2, 2018

JANUARY BRINGS SNOW AND BITTER COLD

     
     Neither rain nor sleet stops the blooms of my treasured Prunus Mume, aka Japanese Apricot.  I love it so much I planted a second one. What other tree blooms in the deep of January ?

We had an unusually cold January with the biggest snowfall since I've been in North Carolina -8-10 inches !  Of course businesses and schools were closed for 3 days until temperatures returned to the 60's and melted it away.

I thought my girls would suffer during the extreme cold but they made it through with no side effects.  I fed them warm oatmeal every morning and cracked corn in the evening.  Surprisingly they continued to lay eggs.


Good riddance to January and hello February as we move closer to Spring.  Spring in the South usually arrives in April .  I'm praying that I haven't lost many tender perennials to the freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...