Saturday, December 31, 2016

DECEMBER AND A CLOSE TO THE OLD YEAR










"I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December
A magical thing
And sweet to remember.


'We are nearer to Spring
Than we were in September,'
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December."
-   Oliver Herford


I'm always cheered when I hear and see my favorite bluebird in December, eating the suet of berries and nuts I put out for them.  Soon they will be filling the many nesting boxes I have put up  in my little forest.  Of course there are many other visitors to the feeder -a rather large woodpecker, mourning doves, cardinals , chickadees and wrens.

We have been lucky this December -no extreme cold , snow or ice storms.  Some days were pleasant and mild -often in the 60's and low '70's.   I am experimenting with a Fall/Winter veggie garden and have covered it several times when it got down below freezing.



Cabbages, kale, broccoli flowers, spinach, and parsley growing nicely in raised beds, well mulched and with a layer of peat moss to keep the soil warm.  I have harvested some rainbow chard and broccoli flowers.

When I'm not able to garden on cold days I use the time to paint.


This one is called " Dogwood. "  I am going to create as many paintings as I can this winter for an exhibition I will have in May or June next year.

December is always a time of reflection as the days fade out and a new year arrives.  This year has brought both good and bad news but I am ever hopeful that next year will be better.

Happy New Year to everyone and wishes for a prosperous and healthy one.


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...