Monday, August 1, 2016

AUGUST MOON


"August rushes by like desert rainfall,
A flood of frenzied upheaval,
Expected,
But still catching me unprepared.
Like a matchflame
Bursting on the scene,
Heat and haze of crimson sunsets.
Like a dream
Of moon and dark barely recalled,
A moment,
Shadows caught in a blink.
Like a quick kiss;
One wishes for more
But it suddenly turns to leave,
Dragging summer away."
-  Elizabeth Maua Taylor 




August is usually a slow month in the garden due to the sultry heat.  Maintaining and caring for the garden are the main things for me this time of year.  

We had abundant rain up until last month and now we are in need of it . Keeping newly planted flowers and shrubs watered is a must.

Each morning I walk about the garden looking for signs of pests - Japanese beetles, deer , rabbits and raccoons.  After consistently picking off the Japanese beetles off the Crape Myrtles for several weeks  I find they are finally gone.  Maybe now they will bloom.

I also carry my shears with me to give a haircut to all the overgrown plants and deadhead the flowers. Filling the birdbaths and feeders on a regular basis is another task, and of course, the never-ending pulling of weeds.

On days too hot to work outside I spend in the studio painting landscapes and gardens.  



Blue Garden by yours truly

I have joined two local garden clubs and enjoy participating in their activities.  In one we visit other members gardens and listen to them talk about them.

Last night, the last of July, ended with a show of thunder and lightning.  Suddenly my prayer for rain was answered in a big way - 3 inches of rain on the thirsty garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...