Monday, April 23, 2012

First Tomato Emerges Unscathed



" Ok, I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille. "  - Gloria Swanson.

April 10, 2012 has a big circle around it on the calendar -the emergence of my first tomato of the season.  Visions of fried green tomatoes danced in my head, and the tune of Home Grown Tomatoes  on my lips.

'Better Boy ' has come through a few nippy nights and time spent in an unheated garage.    He now has brothers and sisters vying for my attention.  A mother's work is never done and days of mid-80's and direct sun demands more watering for my containers and unexpectedly cold nights mean that I must move it to the unheated garage.

The neighbors haven't planted their tomatoes in the ground  yet, waiting for that last, sure to come frost, but I just couldn't wait and so my portable tomato is way ahead of the rest .








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...